Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My preamp must go! Any good passives out there?

A couple of days ago, I got my LS25MkII back from Audio Research. Apparently it was thoroughly tested and serviced, and pronounced fit. While the LS25 was out of the loop, I fed my Wadia directly into the power amp, with a startling result -- a more transparent, detailed, and clear sound, though perhaps with a somewhat reduced soundstage.

When the LS25 was re-inserted into the set up, the same old sound, with what can only be described as a veil of haze, although on the whole the sound wasn't bad, something I could live with (or so I thought). I spent a whole afternoon yesterday comparing my setup, with or without the preamp. The answer was clear: the sound is better without the pre. The difference was not very subtle. My wife who has a better ear but is no hi-fi enthusiast fully agreed.

So my preamp is on its way out. I'm not ready to spend upward of 10K looking for a state-of-the art preamp. I've tried to look into passive pres, and so far found two: StereoKnight's Silverstone Balance and a unit made by CA Audio (listed in Music Direct's website). Do any of you know anything about either? Are there other makes that you can recommend? I don't have much experience or knowledge in this area. So your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - My preamp must go! Any good passives out there? - Amade 09:57:36 06/10/12 (39)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.