Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Explanation of transformer core saturation?

I am interested in hearing a brief/summary explanation of core saturation as it pertains to torroid transformers in SS amplifiers. Torroidal transformers are apparently susceptible to core saturation and resulting hum due to certain operating conditions such as certain power supply issues and situations with some DC on the line. I would like to understand that issue a bit better. I am also interested in a comparison of attributes between torroids and an EI core transformers (which are apparently less susceptible to hum). For example, the DNA-500 uses an EI-core transformer so what causes most amplifier manufacturers to use torroids, is it a cost issue or performance? I also understand Plitron makes a low-noise version of its torroidal transformers so what is different about those compared to conventional torroidal transformers? Lots of questions but any information will be appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Explanation of transformer core saturation? - mitch2 07:11:17 06/10/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.