Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: well

I installed an Emotiva UMC-1 that replaced a venerable Lexicon DC-1. I run all my two channel signals through a Conrad Johnson 17LSII preamp. The Emotiva sounds terrific for movies, and I like the ergonomics very much. Not so hot for two channel, which sounds pretty harsh compared to the CJ, as you would expect I guess. Using the Emotiva internal dacs for two- channel music produces a hyper-detailed image that is very clear, but etched and rather sharp in the treble. I tried several different 2 channel digital input devices and lots of different cables and the Emotiva still sounds like a $500 unit to me for two channel. But for movies, it does everything very well indeed. The video processing is superb to my eyes, and the hi-def sound is startling. I wouldn't call it vastly better than the old Lexicon DC-1, even when comparing lo-def digital coax versus hi-def HDMI surround inputs. Again, more detailed, but less hi-fi, if that makes any sense. The Emotiva is a killer buy though, and my unit has had no bugs at all; zip, nada. It sounds better if I roll off the treble a bit, which you can do for all seven channels. A good option, if not a great one.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: well - Sturmey 21:50:57 05/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.