Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I think you asked an excellent question

I own a decent amount of gear. I have vintage integrated amps with very good phono preamps, I have preamps with very good phono preamps and my two most recent phono stages coldn't be farther apart. An Electrocompaniet ECP-1 and my BAT VKP-10SE.

With every cartridge I own, the BAT is superior to the EC. So let's get that out of the way. Oh, and the BAT is significantly more expensive. The EC is Class A solid state and the BAT is tubed. Lots of tubes actually.

I won't bore you or me with what the differences are between the two, sonically speaking. But what is interesting is the inverse of what your reviewer said is also true. My less expensive carts also sound better with the BAT over the EC. The BAT seems to maximize the more modest carts while certainly matching well with some of my more expensive carts too. And hearing what these sub-$200.00 carts can really do is a lot of fun.

So, if I were a reviewer, what I would tell my readership is that a great phono preamp can potentially make all of your carts sound better. After all, you can only polish a turd so much.
"Hope is a good thing. Maybe, the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I think you asked an excellent question - Curious 17:00:34 05/28/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.