Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My 2 cents

Over the years, I've tried this at various times, sometimes with great success, sometimes not.

My first effort was in the early 70s, using a Phase Linear 400 on the mid-range screens of my Infinity Servo-Statiks and a Marantz 8B on the tweeters.

Using the finest electronic crossovers of the times and specialized amps for certain areas, I would occasionally try it again up until the late 80s with various speakers.

The problem was that I could always get a very impressive sound, even a spectacular sound technically, but not one that really hung together from top to bottom and made music rather than cool audiophile sounds - i.e., better bass, more extended treble, etc. So I'd use it for a while, and then one day get tired of the audiophile sound and go for a different set-up.

Ultimately, it always came down to using two of the same amps if I were to be satisfied musically.

I don't know for certain, but I've come to think it was the difference in input impedance/loading, transfer characteristics, dynamic capabilities, and phase response. But that's only a rationalization for why I never got it to work, nor why I never heard it work anywhere else, especially at manufacturer & dealer demos.

When I say 'work', I don't mean that technically it didn't work. I'm referring to more of an organically cohesive musical quality. Maybe even what's called 'continuousness' in certain quarters these days.

Best regards,

Jim Smith

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.