Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I now read about your experience and will keep the NAD in mind.

But how much could it be if it threw out the preamp portion, I wonder? Maybe the power supply can be simplified, too, but then is the box and power transformer a big part of the budget in construction that must be there and cannot save much? I'm just wondering.

There are so many digital only systems now with digital processors like the DacMagic or a computer plus smaller DAC that forms a preamp in itself. Now I wonder if market conditions for the power amp only product will increase in demand. Those integrated amps seem set up to go obsolete for those going to hi rez digital only and not keeping records and CD's around. I made that switch by the reality of living in too small a space for a big system. Still sounds like high end audio to me, though. But I do a lot of mods from old expensive parts I have left over from the days of more affluence. Not a bad idea if working on only inexpensive separates if you know how.

I see a lot of entertainment establishments (like bars) now with computer background music systems, mostly mp3 though or iTunes. It's a huge space and labor saver.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.