Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

What the world needs is a good $500 amp.

We have good 5 watt amps, but the list seems short for a $500 amp.

I have a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 INTEGRATED amp that was only $200. It's very good for the price, but I had to mod it to separate preamp and amp stages. All I wanted was a decent power amp. But what if all I want to pay for is an amp and up the quality to a $500 price point. Wouldn't this be nice to some customers?

An example for high end amps: Ayre sells its lowest price amp (too high for me) in an integrated only design. Would someone like to lower that price a few hundred dollars or whatever just to have the power amp section installed and no more? There are plenty of passive controls and decent low priced preamps (some DIY).

Maybe incrementing a separate at a time makes just as much sense for lower end price points as much as someone with a big budget.

I have a separate USB DAC with computer that already has volume and tone controls (if needed). But I also have an AVC already for volume instead. All I need is about 25 watts or a bit more out of this amp that can drive a 4 ohm load. Throw out all that I/O hardware and knobs and save cost.

Is there a list of such elusive amps without preamp installed with it (that adds no value for me)? Or good low cost ones that have separable preamp and power amp?

Thanks in advance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - What the world needs is a good $500 amp. - commentary 22:03:58 05/16/12 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.