Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I have the Lepai TA-2020 in my bedroom.

It's driving a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 77 speakers. It's a great deal for a $20 amp to drive a small system for non-critical listening, but it's not as some would have you believe, an audiophile quality amp. It's also not 20 wpc RMS as it claims to be. More like 5-7 wpc RMS would be my guess.

Just for a lark, I hooked it up to a pair of higher quality B&O 120.2 speakers to get an idea how good it really sounded. My old McIntosh integrated amp positively smoked it, even at very low levels. In my experience, even entry-level mass market (Pioneer, Technics, JVC, etc.) stereo receivers are better than the Lepai. It's not that the Lepai is bad per se, but it's somewhat wooly and grainy sounding compared to a better amp.

If you're looking for an amp for your computer or a compact bedroom stereo though, it's great for that sort of thing. I'm totally happy with it in my bedroom rig. Just have realistic expectations.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.