Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Rogue Cronus Magnum Review

Nice review. I've read in a few places that Rogue fans are enjoying the KT120 tube quite a lot in their Cronus Magnum and Atlas Magnum amps. I have a quad of KT120 on order direct from Rogue which should arrive later this week. No price advantage buying them elsewhere and Rogue tests them in their own gear before shipping.

I'm not sure if my Cronus Magnum has the newer cover with larger tube holes. My Electro-Harmonixs 6CA7EH fit just fine (I think you mentioned that your 6CA7 did not fit). For those who need a new cover with the larger holes, it can be purchased from Rogue for $100 USD.

I have the stock KT90's in my CM right now and they sound pretty good. I also have a fresh set of cheapie Chinese Shuguang EL34 that sound absolutely horrible, lacking dynamics, veiled, and mushy. But.... that result was prior to changing the speaker taps. I need to start over with my tube rolling experiments as I recently changed the default 8 Ohm taps to 4 Ohms which is a better match for my Thiel speakers.... and as I was hoping, sound better too.

I will try rolling the 12AU7 as well. I was told by Mark O'Brien that the center 12AU7 will have the greatest impact on the sonics for the small signal tubes. For the power tubes, is favorite is now the KT120.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.