Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Check the impedance ratings at frequency extremes

I too thought that I did my homework when I bought the Cary preamp. Its stated output impedance is 440 ohms. Sounds pretty low. When I complained about weak bass on this site more than one person suggested a possible impedance mismatch and one person directed me to review a Stereophile review that I read, but ignored the testing section.

Testing graphs that Stereophile is famous for showed frequency response curves against multiple input impedances. The only acceptable curve was against 100k input impedance. The 10k curve was really bad! My Mac amp rated at 20K looked on paper to present some issues. Listening did indeed bear that out. I got bass rolloff using the Mac amp. Not a good match. That drove me to find an amp rated at 100K ohms. Once I had that good matchup all is wonderful.

To quote the Stereophile article for my preamp: "The output impedance in the midrange and treble was usefully low, at 370 ohms, but this rose at 20Hz to 6.8k ohms, due to the limited size of the output coupling capacitors. This will prematurely and audibly roll off the bass with power amplifiers having an input impedance of much less than 20k ohms."

Those output inpedances that are stated in spec sheets are across the bulk of the frequency curve, but not at the extremes. My Cary preamp as one example is a great preamp, provided it is mated well to the amp.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Check the impedance ratings at frequency extremes - jsm71 13:54:28 03/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.