Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

+1 Jeff Rowland Concentra II. Very Nice Sounding....

I was auditioning a number of integrated amps a few years ago and I found the Jeff Rowland Concentra II to be my favorite. I had it at time when I was tying to simplify my system and eliminate all the clutter. That lasted a while until the bug bit me again and I went all out with a pair of huge tube monoblocks.... but that's another story.

I also tried the Pass Labs INT-150 and although it was a nice sounding integrated (and well reviewed), I thought it lacked that dynamic punch and lively sound I achieved with the Pass X2.5 and X150 separates. I believe the INT-150 uses a passive linestage internally and that might explain the difference in character as the INT-150 uses essentially the same power amp section as the X150 amp.

My least favorite "expensive" integrated was the pretty looking Mark Levinson No. 383. The ergonomics and versatility of this integrated are phenomenal but unfortunately it's sound was sterile and boring. I often describe it as the perfect integrated for driving an elevator music system.

Of the "bargain" integrated amps that I have owned, I am very impressed with the sub $1000 Marantz PM8003. I believe the current production replacement is the PM8004.

I have yet to try the BAT VK300 series which a lot of people like.

I kind of regret selling the Jeff Rowland Concentra II. I bought mine used but it was in pristine condition and the next buyer got a great deal on it. I bought it "right" and just passed the great deal on to the next guy. I could have gotten more for it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • +1 Jeff Rowland Concentra II. Very Nice Sounding.... - AbeCollins 08:14:39 03/02/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.