Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

'Loading' a preamp with a poweramp, input impedance, and the load resistor

The 'load' of a preamp driving a poweramp has to do with CURRENT flow. A higher load-resistor value DECREASES the load of the preamp because the preamp drives less current at the same level-control setting. Increasing the value of the poweramp's load resistor (which is wired to neutral/common/ground) decreases the preamp's load.

Hawk, if you have some skills and experience at soldering and changing small components such as resistors on circuitboards--does you poweramp have a printed-circuit board or is it hardwired?--changing the load resistor probably will be easy or at least doable. If you don't, I suggest you have someone else do it.

And yes, I have done this, so to speak. I achieved your goal and my goal of decreasing the Voltage gains of several poweramps by adding a resistor in series. That does indeed increase the resistance, decrease the preamp's load, and decrease the Voltage gain of the poweramp. Most recently, I added 220K in series with the signal to several 47K-input-impedance Marantz MA-24s, which increased their input impedances and decreased their Voltage gain from around 30dB to around 10dB.

What are the output and input impedances of your pre- and poweramps now?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.