Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Shock from IC's?

Something happened last night that both caused concern and scared me.

I have a tubed headphone amp connected to a Streamer DAC. When I disconnected the IC from the Streamer, the male tip touched my hand and shocked me.

Now, I've swapped lots of components from my stereo system and oftentimes only mute the preamp, while leaving it powered up. I've never been shocked in the past.

I don't know if that's because I've never touched the tips of the IC's or if there's something wrong with my headphone amp.

What concerns me is that there was a pretty massive thread on another forum about the potential for the capacitors blowing up. I don't think there's anyone who actually had one blow on them, but the warnings were out there. My unit had a clean bill of health from a electronics tech prior to my purchase, but with the shocking incident last night, I'm concerned.

So, should there be any electrical current coming through the IC's from the amp? The IC's were connected to the input of the amp. It has two inputs, but I'm almost certain one works as an actual input while the other works as a loop of sorts to go to another preamp.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Mamoru
"Man, that mouse is Awesome." - Kaemon (referring to Jerry, of Tom and Jerry fame)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Shock from IC's? - AudioDwebe 10:00:33 02/27/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.