Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Emotive - yeah or nah

It cost me about $50 to return the Emotiva XPA-3. Endless power, yes...first amp with so much clean power that the main speaker output exceeded the sub system capacity, causing the sub amp to turn off.

Sound quality was inverse, hurting my wife's ears so badly that she could stand it for only a few seconds. The leading edge transients were awful and pain inducing. I let it burn in for at least 48 hours playing music.

Based on Kalman Rubinson's favorable comment I can only presume either Emotiva sent him a ringer (upgraded well above and beyond a stock off-the-shelf piece), or his um, um, ears weren't working so well that week. When manufacturers supply kit to reviewers it is always unknown and unknowable whether the supplied kit is identical to or upgraded from stock.

Compared to my French YBA-designed Asian-built Audio Refinement Multi-3, the Emotiva XPA was about worthless, not even in the ballpark parking lot. Horrid.

Maybe the Emotiva XPA might gel with a system suffering from extreme softness/fuzziness. Emotiva said the UPA series is more tame on top, but it would have to be a completely different species to work in my system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.