Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Advice for tubed preamp/amp combo under 9-10K

You might want to give us a few more pieces of information, including:

1. You give us the speaker you're going to use, but don't tell us whether you like to listen loud or not, and what size your room is.

Given that the Vanderstein 3A has an efficiency of 87 db, a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, (4 ohms minimum), and a recommended power requirement of 100 to 200 wpc into 4 ohms, I am not sure what to really recommend. (I'm not sure whether the amp should be a 100 wpc for listening at moderate levels in a smallish room, or whether you like to rock out, which means a minimum of 200+ wpc, (or more), in a large room.)

2. You mention that at some point you're going to get into vinyl. Does this mean you want the preamp to be a full function preamp, (i.e it has a phono stage built-in), or do you want us to suggest a phono preamp as well as a line stage preamp, (or will you be buying a phono preamp as a separate unit at some point in the future?)

3. You mention that Ayre is one of the preamp/amps that you would rather consider. Ayre equipment prefers to be run via balanced cables, (I know this, as I have the Ayre K1-xe full function preamp). Do you currently run a balanced system, (or wish to run one in the future)?

4. Other features on the preamp that are, or might, be important to you, such as:
Mono switch?
Balance control, (or dual volume controls)?
Multiple outputs (or the ability to have both SE and XLR outputs)?
Minimum number of inputs? And type? (i.e. SE and/or XLR)
Display? (i.e to you want simple, or a lighted digital display?)

FYI: "I know this is silly but for the WAF it has to be fully remote operable." Not silly at all to require this. I would not own a non-remote preamp.

More information is always better than too little.

Good Luck in your search!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.