Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: DAC with USB capabilities and built in high quality Preamp

My Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC (24/384k via USB) has a great preamp section, so good that I replaced what I was doing with a $20k list Concert Fidelity CF080 preamp with it and barely lost a step (didn't need all the inputs, etc).

I demo'd about 15 DACs over the past 2 years inhouse, and always tried them in direct-to-amp mode (when available). In every example prior to the Antelope the result was pitiful. Either poorly designed analog stages, or poor digital volume controls, or some version of "let's just throw this in there to compete as a preamp". No good. I went into the Antelope demo with the same expectations and was blown away. They use very good stepped relay attenuation, and it shows. Not that this DAC is a full-function preamp; they have only two analog inputs (RCA and TRS), along with the plethora of digital ones.

I am selling one of my Antelope Gold/Voltkius combos (Voltikus is the add-on power supply) but PM me. Not wanting to hijack this thread.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DAC with USB capabilities and built in high quality Preamp - ted_b 17:45:28 02/09/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.