Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

"the big ones"

Where I'm coming up with this is that I worked for dealer that sold most of these amps when they were new and I've had many of them in my home. If the Eagle 7A is an amp you are referring to as one of "the big ones" I've seen that amp run both Maggies and Acoustats with no issues.

The OP indicated that he was prepared to spend up to $750 used and most of the amps I cited are available used for that amount or less (the more recent McCormacks being a probable exception) with reasonable careful shopping. The PSE amps were in the same price ballpark as the Adcoms when new and walked all over them in almost every regard.

The Adcom was, in it's day, reviewed as something of "giant killer". It wasn't true then and it isn't true today but fan boys on the internet keep the myth alive that this was/is an exceptional amp for the money.
"There are political consequences to remembering things that never happened and forgetting things that did." Ariel Levy

Edits: 01/07/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "the big ones" - plantsman 03:34:57 01/07/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.