Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Despicable!

Somehow I got this notion that it'd be a great idea to seek feedback from audiophiles here as to whether a phenomenon I've encountered (as have others) was noticed by audiophiles here, and how wide-spread this experience may have been.

In the process I've been attacked by two main antagonists, with one or two others taking pot-shots from the periphery. I've been accused of trying to impose my views on others, and of trying to promote one of my web-sites, among other things, non of which has any bearing on the truth, as may be bourne-out by the full context of the thread, as it stands.

It is truly unfortunate that such a great forum could be dominated by a few antagonistic bullies who seem to have nothing better to do than to patrol the threads, here, with a view to provoking arguments so as to manufacture excuses to hurl insults at the unwary. Time and again I've seen where, in such an atmosphere, a topic which could have been helpful to many is manipulated to the point where it degenerates into a farce, with insults being hurled from left, right, and center. Speaking from experience, in such an atmosphere, some who would want to participate and air their views, or raise interesting issues, are intimidated and, there-by, discouraged from doing so.

In addressing the accusations, I'll highlight a few segments of some of the relevant posts.

"I've learned, from what I've seen at this forum, not to try to convince anyone of anything. This is not the place for it. That'd be like walking into a shooting-gallery with a target on one's back. No thanks. I've come to realize that many audiophiles are very set in their ways, some would tend to want to string you up from the nearest tree, if you disagree with them - I really don't need that."

"In the process of participating in this thread, some of my opinions may be made apparent. But am I trying to convince people here to see things my way? Again I say - no way! I have a site where all my views on such issues can be freely accessed - not here. My focus with this thread is merely to gauge opinion and the experiences of others. Limited snippets of my own opinions may become apparent, in the process, but certainly not with a view to convince anyone here of anything." [No Link was provided}

"Re; Stereo-Mojo & The Audio Critique as several seem to be adopting similar views on the subject . The full article from which the above was exerpted (is mainly about the Audio Critique) and is at my link below. Any similar experiences, here?" [ The link given goes directly to the article itself, not to the site which was only mentioned 'bye the way' in one other post (displayed here)].

It is significant that of my many posts on this thread, that site was mentioned only once, in the process of making a relevant point. It is similarly significant that the Link provided to my article (not the site) was necessary to facilitate access to the rest of that article from which the quote was exerpted. (re; the first post on this thread).

If this is 'site-promoting', as some would claim, then string me up from a suitable tree. As to my profession, I'm not an audio-journalist, as some would seek to suggest. Those people are actually paid for writing about audio - I am not. Despite the presence of Google-ads, since I never ever did seek to promote it, no real revnue is generated from it. As a passionate audiophile, I sometimes write on the topic in my spare-time - that is; time spared from my actual money-making endeavours. Also significant is that since joining this Asylum last year, I have only fifty-odd posts, up to now. If I were seeking to promote anything, here, I'd certainly have been one of the most active of inmates. How ridiculous a suggestion is this? One indicative of the level of one or two small minds bent on mischief.

On the topic of this thread I started, I does seem to be serving its purpose after all, despite all the efforts to derail it, and despite the efforts to turn it into a market-brawl.. An advocate, in defence of passives, had this to say, "...in my system a passive unit I previously used had greater or equal dynamics to two different tube preamps (Audio Res. LS-7 and a Decware ZTPRE) and had much better leading edge transient attack or impact. The one area where the passive was lagging was in the trailing edge where the sound wasn't as sustained as it was in the actives"

Seems a fairly accurate statement, except that, compared with the best of actives, I'd characterize the leading-edge transient-response of passives as 'better, not 'much better'. But what is much, more significant is; "The one area where the passive was lagging was in the trailing edge where the sound wasn't as sustained as it was in the actives" If this is so, then this would be a debilitating handicap in the quest for realistic reproduction, one would think, as this is the area where the resonance of many instruments, and the completion of many notes, are effected. Reproduction of music compromised in this area would be also compromised in its realism, one would also think.

This I've also found, in my own experience; "A recent storm had caused me to disconnect the system for several days. Impatiently, I'd eventually reconnected without the pre-amp, that's what reminded me of what the LS3 did for the system, and inspired me to expand this segment...... Without this pre-amp the system, to me, sounds dry and analytical, the type of sound many seem to love, but with which I’ve long been dissatisfied as it lacks the afore-mentioned elements necessary for natural realism. It reminded me of how the system sounded before the LS3's arrival. Reconnecting this pre-amp returned the blossom, bloom, glow, linger & fade of appropriate notes, and also returned the all-important lower-midrange body."

To me, the premise of this thread seemed a valid basis for meaningful discussion.

I seriously wonder as to the sense of a membership, here, if the majority is exposed to the voiciferous minority whose main purpose is to intimidate. This is truly despicable!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.