Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

A valid question, and my response:

Good observation and a valid question that I have commented on in the past.

My main reason for using the ACTIVE linestage these days is a matter of convenience with it's I/O and switching. I have access to 8 pairs of inputs, both RCA and XLR balanced in my present linestage. It also has 3 pairs of outputs which is handy since I have solid-state and tube amps in the setup. I don't have to swap interconnects (I run two sets) when I choose to use the SS amps (mostly for background music while I work from home) vs the tube amps for more serious listening. It's convenient. ;-)

When my system was simpler, I loved the Cary CDP coupled through the Placette Passive, driving a pair of AES/Cary SixPac tube amps into my somewhat sensitive Tannoy Definition D500 speakers. There was no lack of bass, lower-midrange, midrange, treble extension, or dynamics. And it was extremely "clear" and transparent. I loved it!

If you're observant you will also notice that I chose an ARC linestage with 6H30 tubes for the current setup as I find these to be fairly neutral as tube linestages go. Again, I have no need to increase, emphasize, or enhance the lower-midrange or dynamics in any way as my system (with or without a linestage) is more than sufficient in these area.

Which brings me back to the whole "system synergy" discussion. I've tried passive and active linestages and I find both to be excellent depending on the rest of the gear in the system. And again, I'm not talking "system synergy" as a cop out excuse as so many folks do. There are technical issues (synergies) to consider which are much more critical in setting up a good system when using a passive linestage. These are often misunderstood, lost, and ignored in stupid PASSIVE vs ACTIVE linestage debates.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.