Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I tend to disagree

"I've come to realize that many audiophiles are very set in their ways, some would tend to want to string you up from the nearest tree, if you disagree with them."

I've tried no-passive, several passive linestages, and several active linestages so I hope you don't place me in that "set in their ways" category. Nope, not me. I've played with various combinations and have listened for myself.

"The only reason for a physical 'passive' unit is to provide a means of attenuation (thus the cause of the only differences between them) but the ultimate (in 'passive') is no pre-amp - nothing, and no name-brand passive unit can be better than that - nothing. Didn't you know that? Or are you 'uninformed'?"

Given that you cannot run "nothing" in a real world system the comments above make no sense at all. Would you ever run your CD player directly into a power amp if it didn't have a built-in volume control (variable attenuator) of some sort ? I hope not.

Given that you cannot run full-out w/o an attenuator, then it stands to reason that the attenuation must come in the form of attenuating components either within the CD player or an outboard passive linestage.

What's the difference? Could be a big difference depending on the quality of the internal attenuator components or the external attenuator. There are sonic differences among attenuators whether they be internal or external. Just the same, there are sonic differences among the different brands of external passive linestages.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.