Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Not sure I made my point clear...

E-Stat,

I realize, now, that you are serious about getting more 'warmth' from your (main?) system, in particular. I'm very sure your VTL 450 is absolutely capable in that regard - so that's not a problem. I wonder, though, if with the SoundLabs 8' out from the wall, whether the lower-mids are sufficiently reinforced. I'm not sure, another inmate, Duke LeJuene of AudioKinesis, is a SoundLab fan and (former?) user - let's hope he sees this and jumps in to advise you.

But from where I sit, and from what you've said, I'd be more inclined to take a serious look at that SP9. I know some ARC fans think the SP9 is not amongst the best of ARC pre-amps. And you 've mentioned: "I originally bought the unit as a MKII and had the factory update it to MKIII specs. That change itself improved the lower midrange output and removed a touch of thinness with the MKII flavor. I don't perceive any change of tonal balance when the preamp is bypassed and replaced by attenuators."

Regarding the SP9's 'thinness' you cited, I wonder if ALL of it was removed. I know no such thinness existed in (others around that era) the SP8, SP10, SP11, or LS3. The LS1 & LS2 are not highly rated, as I recall, and those were derived from (you guessed it) the SP9, I believe. Perhaps this could be where your issue lies.

Another of our inmates, Bambi, is expert on ALL things ARC, she owns SP8, LS3, and SP10, among others (amps included). She knows all about every pre-amp ARC has ever made (and perhaps some W.Z. Johnson hasn't thought of as yet, LOL) Let's hope she also sees this and jumps in to advise you on the SP9.

Bye the way, as far as tubes go, all ARC's tend towards the 'neutral' (some more than others). If it turns out that the SP9 is the actual cause for your concern then, in seeking an alternative, I'd look at the Conrad-Johnson line - notorious for bringing extra 'warmth' to a 'cool' system.

Oh, and regarding the 2nd system, I know the Threshold was totally awesome in most respects - not sure it was renown for its performance at the lower-mids, though, certainly not to the level of your VTL, I'm sure.

Best of luck with the SP9.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.