Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Are Passive Pre-Amps Lacking at Lower-Mids Compared to Active Pre's

"A comparison of passive/pre-amp less vs active pre-amps using one of the rare speaker-systems (perhaps the best Tannoys) which are truly competent at the lower-mids will easily reveal several of the better active pre-amps to be ridiculously superior, as the previously constricted lower-midrange is now unleashed to bring much more realism to the reproduction. The very slightly less clarity of the higher frequencies (not even a noticable factor unless directly compared to pre-amp less) is of little consequence in the context of the 'big picture' - of the vastly enhanced OVERALL REALISM. In this system, pre-amp less' presentation will still be slightly clearer in the higher frequencies but, more importantly, the critical lower-mids will also now be shown to be conspicuously and starkly MISSING, and the overall reproduction far from realistic, compared to that of the active pre."
Re; Stereo-Mojo & The Audio Critique as several seem to be adopting similar views on the subject . The full article from which the above was exerpted (is mainly about the Audio Critique) and is at my link below. Any similar experiences, here?

Edits: 06/28/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Are Passive Pre-Amps Lacking at Lower-Mids Compared to Active Pre's - waj4all 19:50:37 05/14/11 (79)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.