Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Latino "tubes 4 hifi" Dynaco Stereo 70 replica review

I have to agree that these ST70 replicas from Latino and Triode are easily the best value tube amps for the money. As an added enticement, since these are domestic products, there is no question of build quality or ease of maintenance or repair. Every day there is a request for a schematic for some Chinese tube amp on the various forums and if a schematic is found it rarely matches the product.

As to the rectifier tube, there is no way a current production 5AR4 can hold up under the large power supply capacitors used in these modern amps. The solution is easy: use 5AU4 or 5V3 rectifiers. While you can NOT use these in an original ST70, the new power transformer can easily handle the heater current. According to the tubes4hifi web site, "The two tube heater legs are rated for 5 amps each instead of 3 amps each." The 5AU4 and 5V3 require almost 4 amps so will be perfect in these amps. Until these rectifiers are better known they are still about $10 on epay. Be patient and pick them up when they appear and don't bid silly prices on them. I have a big stash all bought for $5 - $10 a tube.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Latino "tubes 4 hifi" Dynaco Stereo 70 replica review - Palustris 10:33:03 04/13/11 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.