Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: AbeCollins - question re you pre-amps

You know, I can't really say if I noticed a difference in the soundstage and imaging going from the LS16mkII to LS25mkII. The LS25mkII is a bit more dynamic and the top end is either better extended or just a bit more "clear".

Plus the LS25mkII has additional features that set it apart from the LS16mkII including Balanced XLR & RCA's for ALL inputs and LO, MED, and HI gain settings from the front panel. I'm not talking about Volume Control, but gain. This came in handy when I had a phono preamp that was putting out a rather hefty signal that would occasionally over drive the LS25mkII causing slight distortion on music peaks. Simply reducing the Gain solved the problem completely.

I've been very happy with the LS25mkII. I chose it (and the 6H30 tubes) because I consider this tube linestage to be pretty neutral sounding as tubes go. It's fully extended in the bass and treble with no noticeable roll-off (which I have noticed in some tube linestages), and it's smooth with no grain.

Now if I wanted a more robust and rich sounding linestage that is also fully extended, transparent, and dynamic, I would look to the Cary SLP-05. This is a lovely sounding linestage and definitely warmer and richer sounding than the ARC LS25mkII. But in my case I already have enough of that "warm and rich" sound from my tube monoblocks so I was seeking a tube linestage that didn't sound too tubey, if that makes sense.

I once had the Cary SLP-05 driving a hefty SS amp and that was a very nice sounding combo too.

...Abe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.