Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: McCormack DNA-1 schematic

HI,
If this is really true, it is a shame. I would not be too surprised because not suppying schematics to customers or independent repair shops is a fairly common practice. For example, Krell and Levinson, and I'm sure many others, will not supply schematics or parts. They insist on doing all service themselves.

This issue has been discussed here in the past. Some have said the policy is to protect the companies design ideas. Perhaps. Others have pointed out that such a policy is necessary to prevent poor repairs from damaging the companies reputations. Perhaps. Actually, I'm somewhat sympathetic to both of these ideas. Designs are stolen and poor repairs are common. The companies have a point.

However, other high end companies publish their schematics freely. Audio Research includes schematics as a part of their User Manuals. Since I do all my own service, I like this policy. But, I'm a professional repairman. I am qualified to do the work. Most folks are not qualified and should not attempt the work. I have seem many pieces that unqualified customes have really screwed up attempting repairs.

I don't know what is motovating McCormack when they changed their policy. I think it is too bad but I don't blame them.

The OP should simply bite the bullet and send the amp to McCormack for repair. It's your best chance to get a first rate repair.

Sparky

Edits: 08/29/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: McCormack DNA-1 schematic - Karma16 08:23:43 08/29/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.