Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: How to evaluate preamps?

You're driving 9m of interconnect, there's no doubt an active pre is yer best choice. Preamps are funny. As the wag Sam Tellig once said, you have to spend a LOT of money for one that does nothing to the sound! And one that's heavenly in one reviewer's system might sound lifeless in yours. While theoretically a passive is best, I think active preamps often help bring out the best of your sources because they give them a CONSTANT, high impedance load-a MUCH easier thing for most sources to drive. This will often offset the (more than) theoretical insertion loss.
You already know the basics:If yer power amp is low input impedance SS, you're going to have better luck with a preamp that has a low output impedance, most of the time. If you're driving long interconnects, that's a good idea anyway. The bigger the power supply of the pre, the better the sound, IME, all other things being equal. Not all tube preamps sound warm and euphonic anymore; not all SS preamps sound thin or hard anymore, either. Oftentimes, a preamp from the same maker of your power amp will have system synnergy, so maybe that's where you should start.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: How to evaluate preamps? - Marc Bratton 20:32:26 05/11/07 (1)
    • agreed - WEEZ 09:25:52 05/12/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.