Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Preamp advice, please

I own several preamps (and hide them from my wife) that include a mix of solid state and tube units. I have the joy of comparing a pair of Dynaco tube PAS3X units, one upgraded the other stock, a NAD 1020, a Dynaco PAT4, and a Marantz 7T. The Marantz 7T is the subject of my response.

I have been doing upgrades to the Marantz 7T. The first was to replace the driver board caps, a pair of 15 ufd units. The often commented on harsh sound went away and the 7T became listenable. I next replaced the remaining three 15 ufd caps and wow ... the darn thing got very tube like with a super soundstage. I am now getting parts to upgrade the power supply with bigger caps and a regulation circuit. Down the road I will replace the RCA jacks with good quality.

The Marantz 7T can be purchased used for $250 to $450 depending on cosmetics. My parts total is less than $100 total. If you know how to use a soldering gun, the Marantz 7T makes it easy to replace parts as they are all hand wired on "air boards".

The sound of this unit is outstanding. Paired with quality tube amplification, the overall presentation is musical, spot-on imaging, great depth, and when one starts a CD or LP the recording ambiance is immediately there. Live recordings are to-die-for and very realistic.

The nice thing about the 7T is one can buy one, try it for about 6 months, then sell it for more than what was paid. You might consider this approach to getting the sound of a higher-end unit for lower-end prices. My 7T is a winner but ... am I biased?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Preamp advice, please - dlb945 14:29:27 05/10/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.