Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: weak volume output from Tube amp - help please

There could be any number of things causing a drop in output.

Why did you replace the power tubes? If one of the old tubes shorted
and lost bias you could have a burned up screen resistor and also a scorched tube socket, and simply throwing in a new pair of tubes won't solve the problem.

There is both adjustable fixed bias and non-adjustable fixed bias, but both bias methods ARE adjustable if you know what you are doing.
Having the new tubes properly biased may or may not solve the problem. Earlier this year I went through three sets of Winged C 6L6GC's that were supposedly matched, all three sets were out by at least 10 mA and one set was out by 24 mA, and these came from a reputable dealer. I'm now running TAD's and am very happy with them.

If you have the time and desire to learn tube amp repair, this would be a good way for you to get your feet wet, but first you need to know how a tube amp works before you can diagnose problems. Please don't start digging inside the amp until you have some basic knowledge about how to discharge filter caps, Fender amps can store over 500 volts of D.C. and people can and do die by not knowing what they are messing with.

My advice is to take it to a tech., it can probably be repaired for under $50.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.