Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

That was me! :-)

The 333 sounded better after I got it back from Harmon. But the tech confessed that the capacitor failure was a known problem/design flaw with all the 33X amps. They've changed the supplier of the caps, so there should not be any more quality issues. But I didn't want to take that chance again.

Other owners have reported inconsistent experiences with Harmon. One owner reported that Harmon had repaired his without charge even though the warranty had expired. It sure didn't happen to me even though I provided all the history of the amp to Harmon, and I was the original owner.

Owning a Levinson gear had been my dream since I started this hobby 15 years ago. Well, not any more. If you do some more search both here and on Audiogon discussion forum, you will see that they have a shady practice on repairs. They did this twice to me both with the 333 and also the #37 (transport).

I traded in the Levinson for a Pass X350.5, but still kept my #36 and #37 digital front end for now. But I will not buy another Levinson product in the future. And I will continue to point out their shady practice whenver the opportunity presents itself.

As for the Pass, it's better than the #333 in every way. It sounds cheesy, but I had one of those jaw-dropping experience when I plugged in the Pass driving my Thiel 3.6. A friend of mine traded in his #432 the following week after hearing the Pass, not even fully broken in. He now drives his Dynaudio C4 with a 350.5 as well.

FrankC

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • That was me! :-) - FrankC 15:15:36 05/07/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.