Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Yes absolutely

This type of cartridge would require at 70db of gain to capture to capture the fullest and detail signal it is giving you, we are talking mocrovolts here. MC simply must have excellent gain to work and sound like it should.is sending out.
I own an MC but HO. The painful bit is that you don't have much room on pres in volume in this configuration. That said my system's SPL was limited in range because I have a notriously ridiculous high premp with was siad the gain is 80+ gain stage . Itis an ARC SP6B . I bought it from the original owner who made inumeranble mods. One of them was by the Two Jeffreys in Arizona now defunct, with big caps amongst other changes and The old hand written note of all the mods buy Two Jeffreys tells you to change the 12AX7 to a 12AU7 not in the gain stage bit each row has what ypically toing would be the driver or phase slpitter . So I followed this guys advice and because I am a compulsive tube rollier habit l tubes. I put in lower gain quiet tubes In the main gaoin stages I like the tone and depth of 5751s. Now I can turn vol pot. Still if at noon it is vwery loud I measure it going to 1 O'clock but with my amps only 78 hp and 92 db/M/W sensitive speakers you are pushing !00 on the meter,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Yes absolutely - Mechans 12:19:52 05/07/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.