Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Back and forth, around and around

I go.
I'll be diggin' good solid state and then I hear a tube amp that sounds magical, so I buy one. Damn that sounds good!
Then I put one of my ss amps back into my system. Damn that sounds so clean and real!
After going back and forth and spending a fortune over a 34 year period, I still cannot figure it all out. I've had good amps with every kind of circuitry there is. Many had zero global feedback too.
Now that I am older I spend far less and am satisfied more easily with lower priced gear. Plus I can "fix" (mod) a lot of circuit problems myself now.
I am going to say something that will piss some people off. Maybe it's my ears, but most of the 40 some odd amps I've bought, sold or kept over the years sounded the same to me, most of the time, feedback or no feedback. That means tube to tube and solid state for ss of course.
I like both. And I think some feedback is fine. Too much is not ideal, but few amps today have too much applied.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Back and forth, around and around - nightdoggy 18:32:34 05/05/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.