Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Ayre Acoustics MX-R Amplifier (SS)

I've written a number of reviews over the years, and always I've been able to pin down what I really liked - and occasionally disliked - about a given component. This is really the first time that I just can't point a finger at a set of characteristics and say "this is what makes it special".

You may have noticed that I also own the C-5xe player. This unit has drawn a degree of criticism from some as being too polite and laid back. If that means it doesn't sound spectacular or forward, then that's absolutely true. To my ears, it sounds much more like music than its competition. In other words, it sounds RIGHT.

I also had the opportunity some time back to audition a Ayre V-1x (not the 'e'). Great amp. I ultimately preferred the JC-1s by a small margin, but I have to wonder about the 'e' generation.

I guess the point is that Charles Hansen and his listening panel have both great ears and the engineering capacity to bring their visions to fruition.

I understand that the companion preamp to the MX-R (KX-R???) will be out late in the summer to early fall. Somehow, some way, I'm going to audition it. Will it provide a better listening experience than the Blowtorch? Well, that's certainly a more difficult job, but who knows? It will be great fun to find out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Ayre Acoustics MX-R Amplifier (SS) - Mike Currie 19:59:45 05/03/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.