Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Thinkin' about gettin' a tube amp

I currently own several solid-state receivers, plus an Anthem hybrid amplifier (tubed preamp; solid state power amp) and I am toying with the idea of getting a tube amp, to see if I like the resulting sound better. I’d prefer an integrated amp, and don’t want to spend a fortune - ideally under $1000; $1500 tops. So what options should I be considering?

I listen to a wide variety of music, but mostly jazz and “space” music like Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream. More instrumental/orchestral than vocal. I like an “open” or “spacious” sound that’s smooth but not mushy. I’m not a bass freak, but I want decent bass down to at least 40 Hz. My two “good” sets of speakers are DiAurals (87 dB sensitivity) and ADS L810s (94 dB). The DiAurals are fairly neutral and slightly “forward” sounding; the ADS 810s are more “mellow” or “laid back.” I could use either pair with the new tube amp.

I’d prefer something that puts out at least 20-25 watts/side, and doesn’t run too hot. The ability to choose from multiple inputs would be nice. I’m willing to consider vintage gear as well as current offerings, as long as its reliable. I’d prefer to stay away from Chinese-made gear, but won’t rule it out if it’s exceptional.

Suggestions, everyone?

"Music is the medicine of a troubled mind." -- Walter Haddon, 1567

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Thinkin' about gettin' a tube amp - Big Dave 16:32:44 05/02/07 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.