Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Jolida 9A modded or Cary PH302?

I have the Underwood HiFi Level III/JD9. I also used the stock unit for an expended period, and finally I used the Underwood HiFi Level I/JD9 for a few weeks before deciding to go all the way to Level III.

The stock is a nice little unit that win points for verve and involvement but would never take prizes for objective merit, i.e. its one of those "sum greater than the parts" type things, looking at the (sonic) parts would never explain why put together it works so well.

I actually sold my first JD9, regretted it, and it was during the process of getting a new one from Underwood that I ended up on the mod trail.

The Level I is basically a more refined JD9, one that has all the good qualities of the stock but that is starting to show some refinement, more articulate, better bass, etc.

The Level III (but without the $100.00 Bitmar (?) tubes they suggest)leaves the legacy behind and transforms into an audio cameleon, a truly capable device that will let good recording shine in all their glory, yet isn't punishing on challenged material.

For reference I say I liked the stock JD9 as much as or more as the phono stage in an ARC SP9MKII, even though the SP9 was better in some ways, and liked it way more than very good all SS stage (that was obviously better objectively). The Level III, I'm confident, would leave those two in the dust, buried actually.

Was using the JD9/LIII with a Denon DL103, moved to a Benz Micro Reference 3 and I feel safe in saying that the phono stage serves up everything the Ref 3 has to offer which is *a lot* (e.g. unbelievable bass definition)!

No Guru, No Method, No Teacher

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Jolida 9A modded or Cary PH302? - bjh 21:40:40 05/01/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.