Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Comparison of Pass X150.5 and Sim W-5

Well, I have a Pass X 250.5 and I'm absolutely amazed by how good it is. I have it connected to an Aesthetix Janus pre and it is driving a pair of Salk HT3s. Probably a setup tonally similar to yours. Very neutral and transparent. Anyway, the Pass replaced an Innersound ESL300 and SMOKED it. The X250.5 is more articulate and transparent, controls the bass better, images better, and is more dynamic. All without any hint of edginess, harshness or grain. Music just seems to jump out out of my speakers now and grab me. I was skeptical of the claimed differencs of power amps but this made a convert out of me. I'm not sure of what to attribute the differences except perhaps the 30-40 watts per channel of class A power the X250.5 puts out. Whatever it is, I'm keeping it! If the X150.5 is anything like the X250.5 you should be very happy with it!

As for the Sim, I'm sure it is a very good amp. However, from what I've read, it will most likely be a tad warmer than the Pass and this may mask some of the transparency of the Merlins. However, if this is something you are seeking, then the Sim would probably a good choice. Another thing you may want to consider would be the age of the W-5 you're looking at. Most of them will be a few, or perhaps several years older than an X 150.5.

Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Comparison of Pass X150.5 and Sim W-5 - 1musiclover 21:03:29 05/01/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.