Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Oh that's a good one, Dan, got me there...NOT!

Is that so? Where the hell do you get off telling me about my observations? Please point out where I have expressed any comments that were based on preconceived notions. I have arrived at my current positions based on my experiences with listening first then reading literature to try to understand what i was hearing.

This is by definition then not a preconceived notion. So either you think I am lying about my experiences or you have to accept that I arrived at my current position by experience.

I am also fully willing to accept that under most standard tests the amps that I find sound more correct measure worse than those that follow a more catholic approach. However; it would be nice if guys like you, who are obviously pretty well versed in electronics design, would acknowledge that how these numbers relate to the human auditory system are sketchy at best, thus leaving room for lots of exploration off the orthodox design path.

I fully accept that there are people here more technically experienced in design but when interpreting data I can more than hold my own. The comments of DB come directly from an orthodox EE training without consideration of listening results. Same for the Baxandall papers you presented, which BTW did not by any means give a hard conclusion to the matter.

I am fully willing to accept other positions if my experience with listening bears out that the approach has merit. If you can kindly suggest which amplifiers that you think are the best sounding you know, I will gladly give them a thorough audition if I haven't already heard them at one time or another. If they surpass my current reference and other similar amps that perform at a high level, then I will happily reevaluate my position, but it does beg the question as to why so many others are making good measuring but indifferent to bad sound amplifiers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Oh that's a good one, Dan, got me there...NOT! - morricab 04:58:08 04/01/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.