Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Synergy of Components

Certainly, amps with interstage trannnies are at the top of my list.
If you use very efficient speakers, SET amps are very nice, if they can produce your wanted SPL. Stay away from the brightest sounding stuff; it always sounds forward, in a sit-up and listen, exciting kind of way, that wears quickly, to my ears.
It is too bad that the so-called state of the art gravitated toward extending high freq. detail. That has caused many transformers, CD players, speakers and cartridges to stay too bright sounding. Sometimes, especially as we grow older and our ears rolloff, less bandwidth, can be very helpful. I don't mean less detail, but gear with slightly less bandwidth can be endearing.
Another major factor to consider, especially when buying new stuff, is break-in time. Internal parts do take hours, to literally break-in. Some high tech coupling caps take 20-200 hours, of music passing through, to break-in correctly. The dealers that have the balls to sell Cardas cables have the nerve to tell us that their expensive cables take 90 days of listening to sound right. Don't they think that maybe, at their crazy prices, they should be beaking in the sound for us ?
Today's transformers usually do not have paper between the coil windings. The manufacturers seem to choose higher tech material, like poly... and even teflon ! Teflon can take months to break-in right ! So, maybe you can find some older vintage trannies in your next amps ? Happy Listening...and Good Hunting...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Synergy of Components - Interstage Tranny 19:40:37 03/31/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.