Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Cu coated AL wire::::: Al foil

Copper coated, aluminum wire is frequently used in tweeter voice coils. I believe it provides the lowest resistance/gram, and would be an ideal choice for a planar speaker with very focused magnetic fields. Silver wire is way too heavy, and you want enough resistance in the serpentine wire to avoid the need for a step up transformer.

Thin aluminum foil is readily available from dissecting high end capacitors. I would guess a 10 micron thick foil would carry enough current for a small serpentine tweeter panel. Household Al foil varies between 15 to 50 microns, with a 30 micron average. I would think Al foil would be the ideal DIY conductor for the wide spaced magnetic fields common to planar drivers. If you plan to cut foil, keep you razor or diamond knife well oiled, and cut on a acute angle.

I would only put glue on the conductor, never the entire film. The weight of the conductor is enough of a weight discontinunity to swamp any potential weight balance advantages from spraying glue over the entire film. I would not spray a UV coating on the film, as even a very sheer grill cloth would be adequate protection in all but continious direct sunlight. Extensive direct sunlight will kill even production planar speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.