Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Cardas method positioning: strange results - who can help?

Hi
I want to experiment a bit with the Cardas golden rule method to get rid of dips and resonances in my current setup, but I am a bit confused about the results I am getting following those rules. So please help me out on calculating the position for my MG 1.6 QR

My room is 5.07 meters wide, 4.85 m deep and has a 2.56 m ceiling height.

According to the Cardas method, for a horizontal room, where the speakers are set up across the wide wall, it says: multiply the distance from the back wall by 1.618, then you get the optimum distance of the speakers from the side wall (Link to Figure F)

So far, so good. For dipole speakers, there seems to be another Cardas rule: ceiling height multiplied by 0.618 results in the optimum distance of the speaker to the back wall. (Click and scroll down to Dipole speaker placement) This calculation seems to be important for optimum bass response and clarity.

In my case, the above would mean the following:
Multiply ceiling height 2.56 m by 0.618 = 1.58 m distance of the Magnepans to the rear wall.
According to the other, the "horizontal" rule, you multiply those 1.58 m by 1.618 (which results in 2.55 m) to get the distance of the speaker to the side wall. But 2.55 m distance means for a 5.07m wide room: the speakers meet in the center!!!!

Even if I take this measure only as a reference point and draw a line to the back corners and move the speakers along this line: even if I only allow a distance between the speakers of 2 meters, then the distance to the back wall would be only 0.8 meters... Not a good setting for the Maggies, I guess: too close to the back wall!

So: basically I am stuck, unless I got something majorly wrong here.

Let me add one final remark. I dug into this matter, since with my current setup, that I found acoustically by moving the speakers around until I found the best imaging possible (the center of the Maggies is 1.58m from the back wall (funny, huh, a Cardas value by coincidence!) and 1.45 from the side wall, slightly toed in), I do get a big dip in the important range between 100 and 140 Hz (up to 20 dB, measured!).
I hoped, that with the Cardas Method, I could avoid dips and resonances as best as possible and get a better bass response. At the moment, as I said, I am stuck, though, because calculations seem to guide me to some strange results.

Your help in this is greatly appreciated

Joerg

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Cardas method positioning: strange results - who can help? - jwitzsch 18:24:32 11/17/04 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.