Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Rough Approximations

You made some valid points.

The aim of using such a formula in the first place is to minimize the dancing-the-Maggie-routine that you're trying to avoid. There is an implied precision (with the 3-decimal multipliers) in the Cardas formula that can give a false sense of accuracy. The reality is, for planars, I had found the formula only gives a very crude estimate, contrary to what the implied precision of the formula might suggest. Another caveat is the formula is valid only for a rectangular shaped room. If you have an L-shaped room, like I have, you're out of luck.

Having said that, I had done some comparisons between results derived from a computer analysis and the numbers generated using the Cardas formula for my own setup. I found the results can differ as much as 12 inches for the rear wall to speaker distance. Now that may not seem like much for a 24' long room but, when when you consider most Maggie owners would probably notice a change of sound quality for positional changes as little as one inch in any given direction, it is easy to see how approximate these results really are. I did not compare the side wall distance calculations due to the L-shaped room.

The Cardas formula would give you ball park figures if you have a perfect rectangular room with a flat ceiling. It is probably as good as any other rule of thumb I've encountered (i.e. 4 ft - 5 ft from the rear wall) for positioning planars. The implied precision may suggest higher accuracy than the formula actually merits, but I suppose it's better than having no formula at all.

Bottom line: if you use the Cardas formula for positioning planars, you still may have a lot of dancing to do.

monk

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.