Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Wishful thinking?

Dipole radiation also involves the back-wave emanating from behind the speaker. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the Cardas formula takes this into account. The canned formula should however help avoid the dominant axial mode in any rectangular room resulting in improved bass performance. That's about the limit of the formula's utility.

For Maggies, a placement solution derived from an accurate 3-D acoustic simulation is likely to yield much superior results. A pink noise analyzer with calibrated microphone can also yield meaningful results but still, that method takes a lot of trial and error by sampling measurements and, one would still need to physically move the speakers around. I can't imagine doing this with a pair of Tympani with it's infinite possible panel configurations. For me, an accurate computer model works best.

If optimizing position for Maggies is as simple as the using the canned Cardas formula, don't you think Jim Winey would have provided a similar formula to his dealers or customers at least to help move his product faster?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.