Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MMG and Adcom 555 amp--I don't like the combo

I've heard the maggies with lots of Adcom amps, including the Adcom 555 and the 555II, the 5500, the 5800, and the 5802. The Adcom amps are all good for the cost, which is why I've owned several but I don't think much of any of them prior to the 5802 (which I modified highly)

Like all the Adcom amps, the 555 uses a good power supply but this is a very early Adcom amp and they are very grainy and heavy handed, and the maggies only make this the more obvious. The 555-II and 5500 wern't much much better, and the 5800 kept falling apart. Finally the dealer felt sorry for me (or got tired of hearing from me) and swapped me for a brand new 5802. Its a wholey different amp in desing and in sound--its actually much closely to Nelson Pass's own Pass Labs amps in design and sound than any of the others (Pass is perhaps the world's preeminant amp designer and a consultant to Adcom, and did most of the design work on the 5802)

If you want an Adcom amp that is "Musical" sounding, as well as having a robust power supply, the 5802 is their only contender. They list for $1,750 and I paid $1,440 for mine.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: MMG and Adcom 555 amp--I don't like the combo - Dave 22:08:03 06/13/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.