Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Exactly

I totally agree with the previous poster. I'm not that intimate with the sound of a grand piano in real life, other than in the concert hall. But then again wasn't the grand piano actually designed for concert halls?
Nevertheless I feel that my 3.3's are more convincing then any other speakers I've heard in reproducing the lower registers of a concert piano. You can actually hear the resonating wood suspended in air for seconds after the notes were struck.
In fact these observations apply to all acoustic instruments. As others noted, Maggies are less convincing in electrically amplified rock etc. simply because that music uses pistons and horns to come to life, an unnatural "effect" the Maggies obviously cannot recreate as well as a pistonic driver can.
I think it's wrong to call this "slam". Try finding a recording that has strong pulsed low frequency information (like a concert hall bass drum), not reproduced first by a piston and then recorded. Otherwise a disc with musique concrete or sound effects (possibly even with a recording of a door slammed...) will convince you that the Maggies are better at reproducing natural "slam" than any sane dynamic systems out there, provided you feed them with enough current.

It's less than ideal performance on electric rock is a small price to pay in my view and I wouldn't advise anyone to add a subwoofer to try and compensate for that. First, it probably won't integrate properly because of the difference in speed of the drivers. Second, it will kill the seamless coherence the Maggies are famous for.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Exactly - hans 08:05:35 06/13/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.