Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quad ESL 57

The Absolute Sound commissioned Keith Howard the editor of Hi-Fi Answers to interview Peter Walker in 1981. It appears in issue 23. The subject came up.

KH: Some people have taken to removing the felt damping from the back of the speaker--what effect does that have?

PW: Of course, it makes it more of a doublet, it has that advantage, but the treble unit will now resonate at 260 cycles with a very high Q which will show as a coloration. You might like it--it's about middle C on the piano. And the low frequencies will go woomp at the bottom end which many people like, but it's a high Q woomp. I don't think I would like it.

I love PW's last comment. I get to hear it both ways almost daily and I most certainly don't care for them without the rear wave damping the speaker sounds just as PW describes. If one likes the sound this way certainly remove the damping it is after all their speaker their enjoyment.

Objectively it is a step in the wrong direction just do a FR sweep and look at the differences in the panel resonances. This hobby certainly has people that fall in to the 'if I like it it's good' camp nothing wrong with that approach. PW was certainly not of that belief and neither am I.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Quad ESL 57 - kentaja 05:26:33 11/27/23 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.