Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Linkwitz Subwoofer for Quad ESL-57?

I built the full LX521 some years ago and after listening to ESL57s, I got convinced they surpass the LX521 in the midrange/treble. I did rebuild (using only the LR4 120Hz xover part) the Linkwitz active crossover and used it successfully with the combo LX521(sub4) + stacked ESL57s.

I can assure you the result is amazing, and the ESL57's sound so much better being offloaded with bass below 120 Hz. Yes I agree with the comments that ESL57-performance is subpar below 100 Hz and there are many advantages to divert high-energy bass to the LX521sub4. Many friends listening to the combo are surprised about not only about the super SQ but also the SPL levels that can be achieved.

The reason I say 120 Hz just to highlight it once more -- this is actually the LR4 crossover frequency used by Linkwitz himself.

Bottom line: Go ahead and build the bass part (as mentioned the SEAS speakers are available and the woodwork is reasonable straightforward. Recommend to stick with a LR4 crossover (avoiding pipe resonances from the LX521sub4).

Good luck!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Linkwitz Subwoofer for Quad ESL-57? - quadquad 06:20:41 03/17/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.