Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I started looking in the early 2000s

for a replacement to Acoustat 2+2s and naturally considered Magnepans. You might have heard my story that my first recalibration of just how realistic an audio system could sound was when I heard TIIIs tri-amped with Audio Research electronics when I was 17. Fabulous. Purchased MG-IIs shortly after.

HP had a really nice pair of 20.1s that I spent quite a bit listening to during trips to Sea Cliff as a primary contender. He later moved them to the MC "Super Maggie" system. Here's the two channel flavor driven by Joule Rite-of-Passage amps.

Overall, wonderful sound with good first octave extension, midrange clarity and that ribbon tweeter was sweet! But...it lacked coherency. The segments of the bandwidth were too distinct sounding for this coherency freak. I felt similarly hearing the IRS there as well.

What the U790s bring to the table is a seamless presentation. With a single full range diaphragm, there is one pebble in the pond. A solo piano sounds like a single instrument. Lucky lad that I am, I have ready access to that sound when wifey plays her baby grand in the living room.

Naturally, they share the same benefits of being dipolar line sources. But there is *no* localization of any frequency. I later heard 3.7s in that same space which I found were an improvement in that respect albeit lacking the same first octave grunt. I'm sure I could be happy with 20.7s or 30.7s. And use Magnepan MC1s as surrounds supporting Acoustat 1+1s in the HT system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.