Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Eminent Technology Now Has A Dipole DSP Controlled Woofer for the LFT-8C

I generally stay out of a pile on but as seemingly one of the few current owners of an ET8x system on AA I will engage...

My perception of Bruce is generally that he is an engineer seeking good sound. As a designer and manufacturer of what by mortal income standards is high-end audio I find his marketing rhetoric to be no-where near the babel bs level of most boutique companies. Some of the discourse in this thread would seem to accuse him of outright lying about the design of this woofer system based on what are in essence, blurbs.

In my ignorance I have always thought of the fundamental difference between dipole and bipole as defined by the phase relationship between the forward and rear firing signal (wave?). I understand this is perhaps an over simplification of how these approaches are implemented and their design objectives for a given system but is the notion that this is not a "true" dipole relevant to the picayune criticisms of how he is advertising it? Is there a serious concern that Bruce trying pull the wool over someone's eyes?

The changes to the LFT8 design have been incremental over several decades. When I upgraded my 8a with the 8b tweeters I heard everything that Doug Schroeder observed in his detailed comparison at that time and it dovetailed with my perceived deficiencies of the system prior to changing the tweeters. Regardless the marketing and product description of the 8c woofer upgrade I would be shocked if it didn't make the system better.

The above being stated, does this elevate the 8c to a $4500 speaker system? Does it make this a must buy $1600 upgrade for 8b owners? Not to me. Both the money that I don't have to spend on it and the additional complexity of wiring and working with DSP do not appeal to me. Running my 8b as I do, full range, with a B&W ASW1000 crossed in at 40Hz and almost no gain give me all the bass I need. I am sure if my room was meticulously measured there would be all sorts of anomalies but I if I can't hear it and the music sounds good then I have plenty of other things in life to be tortured over.

I would love to read a detailed review of a LFT8c or upgraded 8b but beyond that I remain content and free of upgraditis (thank the audio gods).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.