Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 3.6R crossover mods - Best I could do

Properly done an active crossover is superior to a passive one. It eliminates most of the reactance an amp sees in a passive crossover. But a generic crossover, no matter how good, is not really properly done. A good crossover, passive or active, must take into account the anomalies of the drivers and all drivers have them. A good crossover is an equalizer for those anomalies which means it must be designed for each speaker design. Look at many passive crossovers such as the classic 4th order linkwitz/Reilly designs. They often are just 3rd or even 2nd order electrically. So in a generic electronic crossover if you want say 4th order you select that(or have it designed that way) and you easily may not end up with a 4th order acoustically. And that doesn't even take into account the shape of the roll off which is critical and may easily not be nice ending up with crossover ringing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 3.6R crossover mods - Best I could do - hahax@verizon.net 21:04:08 01/03/23 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.