Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Digital vs Analogue active crossovers? (Bryston, Krell, Pass..)

"However, every active crossover I've used has a sonic signature."

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, and it's especially difficult to maintain utmost transparency while retaining dynamic slam.

You say stock Pass XVR-1 is "a touch too warm, liquid, and opaque," but was it more transparent than say the Krell or Bryston active crossovers?

I had always felt digital crossovers could never sound "good enough" compared to best analogue active crossovers, but have you tried some of the better digital crossovers?

My Bryston 10B STD active crossover has recently died. It was "good enough" for my use if I did not use its volume/level control. I'm messing around with dbx DriveRack PA2 digital crossover, and I must say it sounds surprisingly much better than I had expected, when asked to do the very minimum DSP processing (just crossover point and slope. No volume or any other dsp processing).

p.s. If anyone is looking to unload a Bryston 10B STD active crossover, please do let me know :)

Edits: 01/02/23

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.