Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 3.6R crossover mods

I replaced the stock internal caps of my 20.1's with same values, then went full active with custom digital XO's (much faster to experiment/test than with physical caps and coils) and then applied the Saitie/Josh/... Tympani NEO8 midrange mods to the 20.1's.

I am now only using the Mundorfs as ribbon protection caps.

I am using RePhase to make the XO's and CamillaDSP as the realtime convolution engine. I modified one of the CamillaDSP accessories written by another gentlemen so I can very quickly switch between different XO's, house curves, filters, etc.

All processing is done in 64-bit float (XO, filters, playback chain, convolution engine) before outputting to the DAC.

Also spent time updating the DRC-FIR package to work at the driver level versus the speaker level. DRC-FIR was written in the 90's when digital XO's wasn't very prevalent. Since it works at the speaker level, it can't really fix individual driver issues in the XO region between the adjacent drivers. It can only average the sum.

Example, if driver A is spot on and driver B is off in one manner, it tries to correct both over the XO region thus making A worse and B somewhat better.

Correcting at the driver level, it doesn't touch A and only corrects B.

In general, the upgrades only corrects A as is needed by A and only corrects B as is needed by B.

Also adding other functions over time such as being able to specify target curves with FIRs versus some hand enter points, combining FIRs, changing the number of taps in a FIR, etc. That has been a learning curve for me.

2022/03/30 Historical Records CENSORED

Edits: 12/30/22 12/30/22

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 3.6R crossover mods - emailtim 10:31:04 12/30/22 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.